A five-year-old boy in Australia has survived after being bitten by a car-length python that dragged him into a swimming pool.
Beau Blake had been playing by the pool at her home in Byron Bay, New South Wales, when the 10ft (3m) snake struck from the bush.
The boa constrictor bit the young man, and they both jumped into the water, coiled around one of his legs.
The boy’s grandfather, Allan, 76, rushed to the rescue and jumped into the pool to free Beau, who was still entangled in the snake.
The boy’s father, Ben, then rescued him from the deadly grip of the reptile, which was used to suppress its prey.
“I’m not a little boy… [so] I got him released within 15-20 seconds,” he said.
Despite his ordeal, Beau was said to be in good spirits and escaped with only minor injuries.
Ben told local media: “Once we cleaned up the blood and told him he wasn’t going to die because it wasn’t a poisonous snake … he was actually fine.
“He was an absolute soldier.”
Although the python was not venomous, the five-year-old was treated to prevent infection after being bitten.
Describing the play, Ben said:[Beau] just walking around the edge [of the pool]…I believe the python kind of sits there waiting for a victim to show up…and Beau is it. “
“I saw a big black figure come out of the bushes and before it reached the bottom, it completely wrapped around his legs.”
After releasing his son, Ben held onto the python for about 10 minutes, trying to calm his son and father before releasing it back into the vegetation.
“He went back to the scene of the crime, the naughty thing,” he said.
Ben noted that pythons are the norm in the subtropical region, an eight-hour drive north of Sydney, adding: “This is Australia. They’re around.”